This creamy one-pot lemon pasta recipe comes together in minutes and is sure to impress. The bright lemon pairs so perfectly with the rich creamy sauce. Think of this pasta as a quick and easy pasta al limone. It is the perfect recipe for busy weeknights.
Lemon Pasta Ingredients
One of my favorite things about this lemon pasta recipe is that it is an easy recipe with simple ingredients.
- Lemon: The main star of this dish is the lemon. You will use the fresh lemon juice and lemon zest of 1 full lemon.
- Pasta: I love using long pasta in this recipe, such as spaghetti, fettuccine, or linguine. You could also use shorter pasta like penne or shells.
- Heavy Cream: This is the base of the creamy sauce. If you want it to be lighter you could use milk or half and half.
- Parmesan: Try to use freshly grated parmesan cheese. This melts into the sauce better, but any parmesan should do.
- Pasta Water: When cooking your pasta, save 1 cup of the pasta cooking water. This will be used later to thin out the sauce. The starchy water helps to emulsify everything in the sauce.
- Salt and Pepper: Taste and adjust for salt and pepper at the end. You may need to adjust depending on how salty the cheese is and how much pepper you enjoy.
- Fresh Herbs: If you want to add some green on top try adding some fresh parsley or fresh basil. This is an optional addition.
There are a few variations you can make to the pasta dish if you want to switch it up. You can top the dish with red pepper flakes or fresh arugula to add some extra flavor. If you want to add some protein mix in some cooked shrimp. If you want to add some veggies in, add sweet peas or fresh baby spinach. If you want to make this a lemon garlic pasta, cook 3 cloves of minced garlic in some olive oil before adding in the cream.
- Have everything prepped before hand. This simple pasta recipe comes together fairly quickly so you want to have everything ready to go.
- Make sure to save some pasta water when the pasta is done cooking. This starchy water will help thin out your sauce later. Save about 1 cup, you might not need this much but it is good to have just in case.
- Don't use the whole lemon to start. Add in some of the lemon juice and then taste to add more. You can always add more lemon but your can't take it out.
What You'll Need
How to Store Lemon Pasta
This creamy pasta recipe is best served fresh, but you can still have it as leftovers. Just store it in an airtight container in the fridge for up to a few days. When you are ready to warm it up, add a little water to help thin out the sauce.
What to Serve with Lemon Pasta
Serve this lemon pasta along side a large salad or roasted veggies. You could even add in some cooked shrimp to the dish. A few side dishes that I think would go with this pasta nicely are:
- Simple Side Salad with Homemade Italian Dressing
- Spinach and Arugula Salad with Apples and Pecans
- Simple Kale Salad
Other Pasta Recipes You Might Enjoy
Some other easy recipes that feature pasta are: