Looking for a healthy sandwich that is packed with so much flavor and fresh vegetables? This Mediterranean veggie sandwich is my go-to!
Many people know a Mediterranean veggie sandwich from the popular veggie sandwich from Panera Bread. This one is a little bit different, but still has some of those similar flavors you come to love and expect.
This homemade mediterranean veggie sandwich recipe is a great healthy lunch idea. It is even a delicious sandwich to mix into your easy dinner recipes.
Mediterranean Veggie Sandwich Ingredients
This sandwich is packed with fresh veggies. These are the ones I use, but feel free to add in any additional items. Most of these ingredients you will easily be able to find to your local grocery store.
- Bread: Use any type of bread you want for this. I love to use a sourdough or whole wheat bread.
- Hummus: The creamy hummus makes for the best sauce in this sandwich. I like to use a generous amount of hummus on this sandwich. I typically use original but you could also use a roasted garlic or your favorite flavor of hummus. Feel free to use store bought or even your own hummus.
- Avocado: Similar to the hummus, the avocado gives this sandwich a nice creamy addition. I put the avocado on one slice of bread and the hummus on the other.
- Greens: You can use any type of leafy green. A salad mix, romaine, spinach, or micro greens work great here. You could even use some alfalfa sprouts.
- Roasted Red Pepper: I just use the roasted red peppers from the jar in this recipe. You could also use fresh red bell peppers and just slice them nice and thin.
- Marinated Artichokes: The flavor that comes with marinated artichokes really adds a Mediterranean flair to the sandwich. I love these marinated artichokes you can find in a jar.
- Cucumber: For a bit of freshness in the sandwich, cucumbers give a nice crunch and break from the flavorful and creaminess of the other ingredients. If you can find them, the mini cucumber are nice because they are seedless and you can add a few to the sandwich.
- Tomato: Use a few tomato slices on top. You can use vine-ripened tomatoes slices in big rounds or you can half a few cherry tomatoes to throw on top.
- Feta: To add a little punch of flavor add some feta cheese crumbles to the top. You could substitute for goat cheese if you prefer.
There are many other toppings you can add the this sandwich including red onion, sun-dried tomatoes, peppadew peppers, or a little squeeze of lemon juice.
What to Serve with a Veggie Sandwich
You can have this sandwich on its own or serve with with a small side. I like having this with a cup of soup or a small salad when I have half of the mediterranean veggie sandwich. If I have a whole sandwich I usually serve it with fries or some chips. Here are a few recipes that pair great with this sandwich.
- Easy Chipotle Black Bean Soup
- Vegetarian White Bean Chili
- Crispy Sweet Potato Fries
- Dill and Feta Chopped Salad
Can this sandwich be vegan?
Yes! This sandwich can easily be vegan. Just remove the feta cheese or use a vegan feta alternative. Also make sure you are using vegan breads.
Other Recipes You Might Like
This is the perfect vegetarian sandwich and I hope you enjoy it!