I love an eggplant parmesan so making it into a sandwich is all the better. You get the seasoned eggplant, the melty cheese, and the flavorful marinara sauce all in one bite. These eggplant parmesan sandwiches take a little bit of time but are so worth it!
How to Make an Eggplant Sandwich
There are a few steps you need to make an eggplant sandwich. Here is a quick breakdown of the steps.
- Salt the eggplant to pull out excess moisture.
- Bread and fry the eggplant.
- Assemble the sandwich and toast it.
Best Bread for an Eggplant Sandwich
In this recipe I use a french baguette. If using a french baguette try to find one that isn’t too hard. Also, I like to take out some of the bread in the center so the sandwich ingredients sit nicely in the bread.
You could also use a ciabatta roll or buns. This is a great alternative as well.
Tips for Making the Best Eggplant Parmesan
- Make sure to use enough oil. I don’t like to use a ton of oil when pan frying the eggplant but you want to use enough to coat the bottom of the pan. If you don’t have anough oil the bread crumbs will start to burn on the bottom.
- Cut your mozzarella thin enough. If using a fresh mozzarella ball, cut it into thin slices. You want to make sure they can melt on to the bread. If the cheese slices are too thick it may be hard to get that gooey melty cheese.