This white beans soup recipe is a good nutritious recipe that you can throw together fairly quickly. I love to have extra to enjoy throughout the week.
Best Beans to Use for White Bean Chili
I love using Randall Great Northern White Beans. They coming a large 48oz glass jar and they are pre-soaked. These are the butteriest beans that melt in your mouth. If you can’t find them you can swap for 3 cans of any type of great northern bean.
Great northern white beans are very soft in texture and are similar to cannellini beans or pinto beans.
This bean soup is my favorite recipe to use Randall’s beans for.
Ingredients and Substitutions
- Onion: I use a yellow onion in the recipe but a red onion or shallot would work here as well.
- Garlic: Feel free to use more or less garlic depending on your preferences.
- Spices: This recipes uses a blend of cumin, smoked paprika, chili powder, oregano, chili flakes, and salt. if you want less spice, skip the chili flakes. If you don’t love cumin just use half.
- Vegetable Broth: You can use vegetable or chicken broth. You could also use better than bouillon with 4 cups of water.
- Green Chilies: You should be able to find a can of diced green chilis at most grocery stores. You can also use a poblano or jalapeños if you prefer.
- White Beans: This recipe calls for a 48oz jar of white Randall beans. If you can’t find them, you can substitute for canned beans. Just use for 3-15oz cans of white beans.
- Diced tomatoes: This is an optional ingredient, but it adds a nice flavor to the dish. Use regular or fire roasted diced tomatoes.
- Lime Juice: To add a little bit of acidy to the bean chili squeeze in some lime juice. You can also use lemon juice or a little bit of white wine vinegar.
Customize your soup with the topping you can add sour cream, cheese, green onions, cilantro, tomatoes, you name it. My favorite way is with shredded cheddar cheese, sliced green onion, and a little bit of Garden Heat Vinegar.
How to Cook White Bean Chili
This great tasting chili is fairly easy to make. The prep and cooking only takes about 10 minutes and then you just let it simmer on low. Here is a quick step by step on how to make vegetarian white bean chili:
- Cook onions and garlic.
- Add in the rest of the ingredients.
- Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add lime juice and serve!
Is this vegan?
Yes! This soup is completely vegan. Just don’t add any cheese or sour cream on top. Try sliced avocado instead.
Is this gluten-free?
Yes! There is not any gluten items in the soup.
How to make it spicier?
You can addd extra chili flakes to make it spicer. You can also add a diced jalapeño. Just add it in with the garlic in step 1.
How to store left overs?
Store extra chili in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week. You can reheat in the microwave or on the stove.
What to Serve with Vegetarian White Chili
You can serve this vegetarian chili on its own or with a side dish. I love to serve it with tortilla chips or a sandwich. you can also serve it also side a salad. Here are a few recipes to try on the side.
- Spinach and Arugula Salad with Apples and Pecans
- Crispy Sweet Potato Fries
- Arugula Burrata and Fig Salad