I never really cooked with halloumi before, but this sandwich has changed my mind. It is salty and creamy while holding it’s shape beautifully. It is a great sandwich or wrap filling that I am going to be coming back to again and again.
What is Halloumi?
Halloumi cheese is a mixture of sheep's milk and goat milk. It is a traditional Cypriot cheese and is very popular in Mediterranean dishes. It is similar to mozzarella or panner but it holds it's shape much better than mozzarella. Since it has a high melting point if it the perfect grilling cheese. You can get some nice crispy outside before the whole thing melts.
Halloumi Sandwich Ingredients
My favorite way to make this ultimate halloumi sandwich is with fresh tomatoes, bright pesto, and some greens.
- Halloumi: You should be able to find halloumi at most grocery stores, in the specialty cheeses section. It typically comes in 8-ounce blocks. Make sure to rinse it before use because it may have been sitting in a brine that is extra salty. This is a fairly salty cheese so you don't want that extra salt flavor on there.
- Tomatoes: Try to find a nice size tomato. I like to use a beefsteak tomato but you could also use Roma tomatoes. Slice it into about 1/4 inch slices before grilling.
- Ciabatta: For the bread you can really use any type. A few sliced of sour dough work great or you can get some ciabatta rolls or use a few slices or a ciabatta loaf.
- Pesto: The pesto is the main sauce of the sandwich. You can really use any type but try to find a basil pesto. If you want to make your own this post has a recipe in it for a classic pesto recipe. It also shows a few different nuts you can use with your pesto.
- Arugula: To add a little green to the sandwich top it with a handful of arugula. You could also substitute with baby spinach.
If you want more basil flavor feel free to top the sandwich with a few fresh basil leaves.
The beauty of making halloumi sandwiches is that they are very easy to swap out ingredients. A few variations you could make are:
- Instead of tomatoes, use a few slices of red peppers.
- Load in some fresh veggies, to add a nice crispy crunch to the sandwich.
- Swap the pesto for a spicy mayo for a different flavor.
What to Serve with this Halloumi Sandwich Recipe
Tips for Cooking Your Halloumi
- Don’t over cook. If you cook the halloumi too long it can start to get rubbery texture. It can help if you heat the pan before adding it. That way it will start cooking right away.
- Add a little oil if you want the outside to be extra browned.
- If you want the grill mark, use a grill pan but just a regular sauce pan works great.
Commonly Asked Questions
Where to buy halloumi?
You should be able to find halloumi in the specialty cheese section of your grocery store. You will have better luck in larger grocery stores or greek markets. I have found it at Whole Foods and Trader Joe's.
Is Halloumi vegetarian?
Some halloumi is made with animal rennet so if you want it to be 100% vegetarian make sure to check the label. It can be made with vegetarian rennet as well.