A falafel gyro is the perfect vegetarian meal. It has so much flavor and versatility.
This recipe shows how you can make your falafels on the stove top or in an air fryer. Then just add your favorite toppings!
Using canned chickpeas for falafels
This recipe uses canned chickpeas. Using dried chickpeas are a more common way to make falafels but it is just so much quicker with canned. When using canned chickpeas make sure to dry them before using. You want to get out as much moisture as you can. Do this by draining and rinsing the chickpeas, then place them on a kitchen towel. Fold over the towel and rub together to dry them off.
How to make falafels in an air fryer?
- Prep all your ingredients and add them to a food processor and pulse until a dough starts to form.
- Add to the fridge to slightly harden for 30 minutes.
- Scoop out 1-2 tbsp sized balls.
- Spray the bottom of the air fryer, add in the falafels, and then spray the top.
- Air fry at 390ºF for 20 minutes. Stop halfway through to shake.
How to make pan fried falafels?
- Add about 2 tbsp of oil over medium high heat. You can use olive, avocado, or vegetable oil.
- When oil in hot, add in falafels. Cook about 2-3 minutes per side.
- Remove from pan when edges are nice and crispy.
Air Fried Falafels vs. Pan Fried
The air fryer uses less oil, it is less messy, and you get a good all around crisp. The air fryer does take longer and it doesn’t get as crispy at the fried version.
What toppings to add to a vegetarian falafel gyro?
You can mix and match your toppings with whatever you have or prefer. I think the must haves are hummus, lettuce, and tomatoes. A few optional put delicious items are pickled onions, tzatziki sauce, and feta cheese. If you are looking for an easy tzatziki sauce I love this recipe: Easy Sour Cream Tzatziki.