These shrimp tacos are simple to make and you can change up the flavor and toppings to match everyone preference. They are made with a chili lime seasoning and are fully baked in 8 minutes!
If you don’t like spicy shrimp, just add a little less seasoning or a little extra sauce!
How to Make Shrimp Tacos
This chili lime shrimp taco recipe using the baking method. Just toss your shrimp with oil and seasoning and place it in the oven for 8 minutes. This makes it so much easier because while they are cooking you can make the avocado crema and chop the cabbage.
I like to use parchment paper when making the shrimp. That way clean up is much easier. Since the shrimp has so much seasoning you don’t want it to get stuck to the pan. I love this parchment paper.
These tacos are bursting with fresh flavor from the chili to lime to cilantro.
- Shrimp: I use frozen shrimp most of the time because it is the easiest to find. I try to find medium sized shrimp. Jumbo shrimp is harder to fit into your tacos. Make sure they are defrosted before you cook them. To defrost the shrimp, place them in the fridge overnight or run them under cold water to defrost them quicker. You can also use fresh shrimp.
- Seasoning: I love chili lime seasoning. You can find it as a spice blend at most grocery stores. I link a few of my favorites down below. If you can’t find it you can use a mix of chili powder, cumin, and garlic powder instead.
- Tortillas: Try to find street size tortilla, they are about 4.5”. I think they work best for these tacos but any size will do. You can use flour tortillas or corn tortillas for this recipe.
- Cabbage: The color of the red cabbage adds a fun contrast to the tacos. You could also switch it out for green cabbage if you need. I typically buy a head of cabbage and chop it up but you can also use shredded cabbage.
- Avocado Crema: The creamy sauce for the slaw is a blend of avocado, sour cream, cilantro, and lime. It is a bright sauce that pairs really well with the spicy shrimp. This recipe calls for sour cream but you can also substitute it for greek yogurt if you need. Make sure to taste the cilantro lime sauce as you go and add more lime or salt as needed. You might have a little extra, I love to add this on top of save it for another meal.
Other ingredients you might need are for topping. My favorite toppings are jalapeños and cilantro but you can also add some hot sauce, red pepper, or some red onion.
What Spices to Use
I love using a prepackages seasoning to make it easier. You can buy the chili lime seasoning that I use at Spice House, but you should also be able to find something similar at your local grocery store. Here are a few chili lime spice options:
- Spice House Chili Seasoning Packet
- Tajín Clásico Chili Lime Seasoning
- Trader Joe’s Chili Lime Seasoning
- Simply Organic Chili Lime Seasoning
What to Serve with Shrimp Tacos
You can serve shrimp tacos on their own or with a side. A few sides that go great with these shrimp tacos are tortilla chips and salsa or beans and rice. Personally, I think these cilantro lime shrimp tacos with a side of black bean soup is the perfect meal.