These tempeh burrito bowls are a great recipe for a weeknight meal when I’m looking for something healthy and packed with protein. They are made with roasted sweet potatoes, seasoned tempeh and beans, and loaded with all the toppings.
What is Tempeh?
Tempeh is made from fermented soybeans. It is similar to tofu, but a little denser and with a little more flavor. You’ll often find it as a meat replacement in vegetarian cooking.
Tempeh is a good source of plant-based protein, fiber, vitamins, and minerals. It is also known for its probiotic properties, as the fermentation process produces beneficial bacteria that can support gut health. Tempeh can be sliced, cubed, crumbled, or marinated and is commonly used in stir-fries, curries, sandwiches, salads, and various other dishes.
Tempeh can even be made from other legumes, grains, or even a combination of ingredients, resulting in different flavors and textures. However, soybean tempeh is the most widely available and commonly consumed variety.
Tempeh Bowl Ingredients
This bowl is packed with veggies and protein sources. You can easily swap out some of the ingredients for your preferences.
- Sweet Potato: The roasted sweet potato adds a lot to this bowl. If you don’t like sweet potato you can easily use another potato like yukon gold or even swap it out for cauliflower.
- Tempeh: There are different types of tempeh you can buy. Try to get an unseasoned tempeh since you will be adding in the seasonings.
- Black Beans: The beans give the bowls some extra protein and a nice texture. If you don't have black beans feel free to use pinto beans or kidney beans.
- Spices: There are a load of spices in this recipe. If you want it to be spicer, add in extra cayenne and if you don’t want it to be spicy you can leave that out.
- Rice: Use white rice or brown rice in this recipe, both work great! You could even use quinoa or cauliflower rice as a substitute.
- Salsa: Any type of salsa is great in this bowl. The salsa works almost as a sauce in the tempeh burrito bowls. You can use store-bought salsa or you can make your own.
- Avocado: I love the avocado with the spiced tempeh it give a nice creamy element to the dish. You can add in in cubed, sliced, or mashed.
- Sour Cream: If you are vegan you can easily skip the sour cream in this recipe. I love to add it because it gives the dish a cooling element that pairs really well with the roasted sweet potatoes and the seasoned tempeh.
You can also add on other toppings like cheese, sliced green onion, chopped red onion, a squeeze of lime juice, or even some chopped jalapeño.
What to Serve with Tempeh Burrito Bowls
The beauty of this meal is you really don’t need to serve it with anything else. It works great on its own. If you do want to add a little more to the meal feel free to serve with with a side salad or some tortilla chips.
You Might Also Like
If you like this recipe you might like these other black bean and tempeh recipes.
I hope you try this delicious recipe! Share your tempeh burrito bowls with us @sigsbeestreet.