When looking for a protein packed vegan meal this tofu burrito is the perfect choice. It’s easy to customize depending on your preferences. The vegan taco meat is what really makes this my favorite burrito recipe.
How to make tofu for a vegan burrito?
The tofu crumble in this burrito is made with a super firm tofu that is quickly cooked with a ton of spices. You could also use an extra firm tofu if that in all you can find. Anything softer will have a hard time holding its shape and you want to have those little crumbles for texture.
To make, just crumble the tofu directly into the pan, add in spices, water and beans. Cook until the water is cooked out. Having the water helps all those spices soak into the tofu.
Tips for the best tofu burrito
When making the ultimate vegan burrito there are a few tips that make it a little bit easier.
- Crumble tofu into small pieces. For best results you want the tofu to be broken down into fairly small pieces so it almost resembles ground beef. This will help the spices and flavor really get into the tofu.
- Don’t overfill the tortilla. This was a mistake I learned too many times. When filling you burrito you want to make sure you have enough tortilla to wrap up all those filling. One way to help is to try to find the largest tortillas you can find.
- Use aluminum foil to wrap the burrito. If you do have a very full burrito a trick is to wrap it up in a piece of aluminum foil. Then you can just peel back the foil as you eat it and all those delicious fillings are wrapped tightly so they won’t fall out.
- Grill the outside for extra crunch. One extra step that isn’t needed but really adds a great texture is to quickly brown the outside of the burrito. This also helps it stay together. The best way to do this is by adding a little oil to a pan and when hot, place your burrito seem side down until browned. Then flip and brown the other side.
How to make this tofu burrito for meal prep?
Burrito are a great meal prep meal. There are 2 ways you can do this. You can make all the filling and assemble as needed or you can make then all the way and just reheat them as needed.
- Prep fillings. A great way to meal prep this is to make all the fillings ahead of time and store them in airtight containers in the fridge. Prep you tofu bean mixture, brown rice, and queso before hand. You can then reheat these in the microwave before assembling.
- Prep burritos. If you want to make the whole burrito beforehand just wrap each of them in aluminum foil and place them in a freezer bag or airtight container. You can store them in the fridge for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 1 month. You can eat as is or reheat on the stove or in the microwave. if you want to microwave the burrito make sure to remove the aluminum foil before adding it to the microwave.
How to make this burrito quicker
If you want to reduce the cook time in this recipe you can skip the brown rice or get pre-cooked rice. This is the part that takes the longest.
You could also get a pre-made vegan queso if you don’t want to make your own.
The tofu and beans only take about 5 minutes so that part will come together very quickly.
Tofu Burrito Variations
You can really change up this recipe based on what your favorite burrito toppings are. here are a few other topping ideas that would work great in here
- Use vegan cheese instead of the cashew queso
- Chop up some red bell peppers or other fresh veggies to add a nice fresh crunch
- Use pinto beans or refried beans instead of black beans
- If you want another creamy element try adding some vegan sour cream
- If you have pico de gallo you can use this instead of salad
- Add some hot sauce for some extra heat
- Use any type of rice you have you can use white rice, Spanish rice, cilantro lime rice, or any other leftover rice you may have
- For some freshness add some fresh cilantro or a squeeze of fresh lime juice