When I am looking for a healthy packed recipe I often reach for this roasted beet and sweet potato salad. Beets and sweet potatoes are packed with nutrients and the added veggies and chickpeas really make this into a hearty meal.
This is a beautifully colorful salad with the mix of root veggies and greens. It is the perfect salad recipe to have as a main course or as a side dish.
You can enjoy this salad any time of year but I love it in the fall and winter. I hope you love this healthy salad as much as I do! Your immune system will thank you.
Sweet Potato and Beet Health Benefits
Sweet potatoes are a nutritional powerhouse, boasting a rich supply of vitamins, particularly beta-carotene, a potent antioxidant that supports healthy vision and immune function. Additionally, the high fiber content in sweet potatoes aids digestion and promotes a feeling of fullness. Packed with vitaminsA and vitamin C, sweet potatoes contribute to radiant skin and overall well-being, making them a delicious and health-conscious addition to any diet.
Beets are also a nutritional gem. They are known for their natural nitrates that can improve blood flow and oxygen delivery to muscles. These vibrant root vegetables also contain betalains, powerful antioxidants with anti-inflammatory properties, promoting heart health and reducing the risk of chronic diseases. Incorporating beets into your diet not only adds a burst of color to your plate but also provides a myriad of health benefits that contribute to overall well-being.
Tips For The Best Beet and Sweet Potato Salad
- Prep dressing: If you want to use the homemade salad ressing recipe, you can prep this in advance. Just store it in a n airtight container for up to 3 days before.
- Use a mix of greens: I like to use spring mix int he recipe but you could also use spinach, arugula, or a mix of a few of them.
- Mix up the herbs: This recipe called for a handful of parsley. You could also add in some fresh basil or mint to mix it up.
- Be ready for the beets: The color of the beets tend to get on everything when chopping them so make sure to use a cutting board that is easy to clean and have some paper towel handy if you need to wipe down your hands.
- Vegan: To make this a vegan salad, remove the feta and use a plant based alternative or just skip all together. For the dressing, use maple syrup instead of honey.
- Quick: Roasting the vegetables is what takes the longest in this recipe. To make it quicker, try chopping up your veggies into small pieces as this will help them roast a little bit quicker.
- Another way to make the recipe quicker is to use pre-made dressing instead of making your own. Any type of mustard vinaigrette will work great.
- More protein: If you want to add an extra boost of protein add in some cooked grains like quinoa or farro. You could also top it with a chopped hard boiled egg, some pumpkin seeds, or sunflower seeds.
- Add in extra veggies: Looking to add even more veggies to the mix? Add in some carrots or broccoli. You could roast these or just chop them up and add them in raw.